Car title transfer, Virginia
If you are planning to buy or sell a car, you need to know about car title transfer, Virginia. A car title contains crucial information about your car and the owner. Some of the details include-
- The name of the owner
- A unique 17-digit number called VIN(Vehicle Identification Number)
- Odometer reading of your vehicle
- Information about where and when your car was purchased
When you buy or sell a car, you need to create or change these details respectively and this is what car title transfer, Virginia is meant for.
For an easy title transfer, you will need-
- Registration certificate of your car
- Driving license or PAN card of both the buyer and seller
- Lien release (if applicable)
- Odometer reading at the time of title transfer
- Proof that your car follows all the guidelines of the pollution control board
- Ttle transfer fee- This fee costs around $6 dollars in Virginia and is required to initiate the process. If your car is bought in some other state, you need to pay an additional $1.5 or $2.
After you have filled these documents, your file needs to be approved by the Secretary of State. Both the buyer and the seller must be present at the time of approval. If you buy your car via any dealership, your dealer will initiate the process of title transfer.
If you inherit a car from any of your family members, you will need to follow the same procedure. However, if you inherit a vehicle on the demise of any member, you will need to show the death certificate of that person.
Also, if you have bought your car on loan, clear your debt and get the lien release. Most of the people ignore this and face several issues later. Be an educated citizen and follow the proper guidelines for car title transfer, Virginia. We hope you have understood how to transfer a car title in Virginia and found the information useful.